Palakkad fort which was known as Tippu fort was constructed by Hydrali in 1766 A.D. The Palakkad fort stands in the heart of the Palakkad town. The emperor of Mysore province, supposedly to facilitate communication between both sides of the Western Ghats.
History of Palakkad Fort
Palakkad Achan, was originally a tributary of the Zamorin, but had become independent before the beginning of the 18th century. In 1757, Palakkad achan sent a deputation to Hyder Ali seeking help against an invasion threatened by the Zamorin. Haider Ali seized upon the opportunity to gain possession of a strategically important location such as Palakkad. That time until 1790 the fort was continually in the hands of the Mysore Sultans. It was first taken by the latter in 1768 when Colonel Wood captured it during his raid on Haider Alis's fortresses, in a few months later haider was retaken it. But in 1783, It was recaptured by Colonel Fullarton. It later fell into the hands of the Zamorin's troops. In 1790 it was finally captured by the British under Colonel Stuart. It was renovated and was used as a base for operations that ended with the storming of Srirangapatnam.
The current status of our old fort and the palakkad town hall known as Kotta Maidanam or Fort Maidan. The ground is now used to stage cricket matches, exhibitions and public meetings but which had once served as a stable for the elephants and horses of Tipu's army.