Famous Mattancherry or Dutch palace
- Two storeyed palace built in 1545 A.D. of Portuguese architecture
- Known as 'Dutch Palace' because it has been renovated by Dutch later
- Mural paintings depict scenes from Ramayana and Hindu deities
- Royal ladies room murals depicting Shiva Parvathi marriage, Krishna leela etc.
- Museum exhibits portraits of the Cochin Kings, palanquins, dresses, weapons etc.
- Royal umbrellas, canopy, dolis, stamps and coins etc. are in display
- The kings ceremonial dress with intricate lace work in golden thread woven into them
Paradesi (Jewish) synagogue
- Built in 1568 by the Jewish community of Cochin, adjacent to Dutch Palace
- The large main hall display the rare antiques adds the grandeur of the place
- Delightful large chandeliers with light falling from the windows
- The floor with the paving of hand-painted blue willow patterned tiles
- An exclusive gallery for women with gilt columns, a carved teak ark etc.
- Two gold crowns presented to the Jewish Community by the kings of Kerala
- Copper plates belonging to the 4th century, an oriental rug etc.
Address of Kochi / Cochin
Kochi City is located in Ernakulam district of Kerala state, India - 682002.
How to Reach
- Distance From: Alappuzha - 57 km, Kozhikode - 173 km, Thiruvananthapuram - 214 km
- Nearest Airport: Cochin International Airport - 42 km
- Nearest Bus station: Kochi
- Nearest Railway Station: Kochi
- Transport: Mattancherry is an area in Kochi city and well connected to all the major cities by an excellent road, rail and airways.
Where to Stay
There are many options from budget to luxury hotels, resort in Kochi city.
Things to Take Care
- Mattanchery Palace Museum timings: 10.00 am - 5.00 pm. (Closed on Friday)
- The synagogue timings: 10.00 am to 12.00 pm; 03.00 pm to 05.00 pm. (Closed on Friday, Saturday and Jewish holidays)
Visiting Places near Kochi